The Windows XP “0x0000009a” or “0x9a” error code is a blue screen or “stop” error that occurs abruptly to avoid data loss when trying to restore the Windows XP registry from a storage device. Backup. It may be because there are missing or corrupted files in the Windows registry or because there has been a violation of the Microsoft Windows XP software license agreement. You should correct this problem by restoring the registry using XP & # 039; s System Restore utility. If this does not work, you must manually change the Windows XP product key using the Windows Activation Wizard.
1. Log in to Windows XP using the administrator account. Click “Start” and select “All Programs,” then click “System Tools” and click System Restore.
2. Select the window “Restore my computer to an earlier time state” option in the “System Restore” and click “Next” to continue. Select the restore date from the calendar and then choose a restore point from the list. The restore point you select should be the latest date that you are sure the computer was working properly before the “0x0000009a” error occurred.
3. Click “Next” to open a System dialog window informing you of the changes that will be made to your computer based on the restore point you have selected Restore. Click “OK” to continue or “Cancel” to choose a later date.
4. Click the “Next” button in the “Confirm System Restore” window to start the system restore. Windows XP will restart automatically once the system has been restored. If the “0x0000009a” error continues to occur while Windows XP is trying to load, it may be due to a violation of the Microsoft Windows XP software license agreement.
5. Log in to Windows XP using the administrator account. Click “Start” and then “Run” to open a dialog window. Type “regedit” in the field provided and click “OK” to open the Registry Editor.
6. Expand the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,” “software,” and “folders in the navigation pane on the left side of the “Microsoft Registry Editor” utility by clicking “+” next to each folder. Expand the “Windows NT” and “CurrentVersion” folders as well, and click on the “WPAEvents” registry key that appears in the “CurrentVersion” folder.
7. Click the “OBETimer” registry value in the right-hand pane of the “Registry Editor” utility and select “Modify” to modify this registry value. Change one of the numbers in the “Value” text field and click “OK” to save the changes. This will deactivate Windows so that you can reactivate Windows XP using the Activation Wizard.
8. Click “Start” and “Run” again, then type “% SystemRoot% \ system32 \ oobe \ msoobe.exe / a” in the “Open” field. Click “OK” to open the “Activation Wizard” and select “Yes, I would like to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows.” Click Next.“
9. Click “Change Product Key” and enter the Windows XP Product Key that came with your original copy of XP in the “Product Key” text field. If your computer has a copy of Windows XP installed, the product key can be printed on a label located on the back of the computer tower. Click the “Update” button, then restart your computer once the product key has been updated.
[Also Read: How to Fix Canon Copier Error Codes 6012]
Tips and Warnings
Create a backup of the new registry once your computer has been fixed. This will allow you to restore the Windows registry without needing to restore your system’s rest if this error occurs in the future.
[Also Read: How to fix Code 10 errors]